Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Going on a budget has helped us loose weight!

I wouldn't say I am in competition with the folks on the Biggest Looser, but I will tell you that since the meteor strike, I have lost about 45lbs and my husband has gone down a waist size.  We are definitely not doing the latest and greatest diet craze, simply because we cant afford to anymore.  (or maybe its because we choose not to afford to do that anymore)

In the 12 years of our marriage, my husband and I have done everything from aloe-vera juice, to diet pills, to prescription diet pills, high protein, low carb, no sugar, and even juice you take at night before you sleep that was supposed to melt the fat right off you.  We lost a few pounds here and there, but having kids has definitely brought those back on (for both of us!).

Now that we are living on a budget, we are loosing weight, FOR FREE!  If I could figure out how to market this we would be Oprah-rich!  A friend asked what we were doing and I had to actually think about it.  Here is what I came up with:
  • We are eating a lot of the veggies that come from our garden.
  • We spend a lot more time with our kids doing cheap stuff - riding bikes, playing outside, going to the playground, going Geocaching
  • We are eating less at meals - if we get pizza we just get one pizza, not two
  • Cutting out most of our sodas - we drink a lot of Crystal Light in my house, sodas are now treats we go into town for
  • Instead of going out to lunch after church on Sundays, we go on a picnic
The one big draw back is that I cant/and wont go rush off to buy new clothes BUT I have found all those items I pushed to the back of the closet because they were too tight and didn't fit.   Yeah me!

Thessalonians 5:8  "...let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Hop